"G" is for Grimké, Sarah Moore and Angelina Emily Grimké. Although members of the upper echelon of South Carolina society, the Grimké sisters rejected a privileged lifestyle rooted in a slave economy and became nationally known abolitionists. Both were members of the Ladies Benevolent Society and visited the homes of poor whites and free blacks in the city. By 1830, both sisters had moved to Philadelphia. They joined the American Antislavery Society and became the first female antislavery agents—speaking out against racial prejudice and using their firsthand experiences in South Carolina as examples. After a letter of Angelina’s espousing emancipation appeared in the antislavery newspaper, The Liberator, the sisters became pariahs in their native state. With the end of slavery in 1865, the Grimké sisters remained public figures, supporting women’s suffrage until their deaths.