Radio Website Header-Waves 6 3.0.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
An archive of bulletins and stories about disaster recovery aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

FEMA: Applicants Who Want Continued Rental Assistance Must Make Request

South Carolina Public Radio News Service

South Carolina flood survivors who have a continued need for temporary housing assistance must complete and submit paperwork that demonstrates a disaster-related and financial need.

Applicants need to submit several documents each time they want to ask FEMA for continued temporary housing assistance including:

  • A completed form that came with the continued temporary housing assistance letter
  • A copy of their lease
  • Receipts showing proper use of previous rental assistance
  • Current household income status
  • Any household financial obligations

FEMA encourages applicants to develop permanent housing plans while living in temporary housing. Applicants with no housing plans will receive information and tools to help them find available housing.
The first continued temporary housing assistance letter is mailed to eligible applicants approximately two weeks after the initial award

It is important for applicants to keep their contact information current so they will receive FEMA correspondence. They can update information online at or by calling FEMA’s helpline at 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585.

Applicants who have questions about the continued temporary housing assistance process may call the helpline or visit a disaster recovery center. They may locate their closest center by visiting