© 2024 South Carolina Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

“E” is for Erskine College

“E” is for Erskine College. In 1836 the General Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church organized an academy in Due West. A professor of divinity was added and the institution was incorporated as Clarke and Erskine Seminary. When more faculty were added in 1839, the institution became the first four-year denominational college in South Carolina. The college took its name from the eighteenth-century Scottish theologian and reformer Ebenezer Erskine. About 1843 the name was shortened to Erskine College. Women began attending the college in 1894. In 1925 the school was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges. Since its founding Erskine College has played an important role in nurturing the social and cultural cohesion of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. Generations of Associate Reformed Presbyterians from across the South have sent their children to college in Due West.

Stay Connected
Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.