"P" is for Pacific Mills. Pacific Mills began in Lawrence, Massachusetts in 1850. The company moved south in 1915 by purchasing South Carolina-distressed mills. The new mills, collectively called Columbia Pacific Mills, consisted of Olympia, Granby, Richland, and Capital City Mills in Columbia. The Olympia Mill had the distinction of having the largest spinning room in the world in the 1920s, with 100,320 spindles. Pacific was the largest manufacturer of percale—a medium weight, plain-woven cotton printed fabric commonly used in bedsheets. During World War II, Pacific’s South Carolina Mills turned out more than 350 million yards of fabric for the war effort. The company later went through several ownership changes and in 1955 new owners removed the “Pacific” name from the Columbia plants. In 1996, the aging Olympia and Granby mills were closed.