"P" is for Pringle, Robert (1702-1776). Merchant, planter, legislator, jurist. A native of Scotland, Pringle immigrated to South Carolina in 1725. Initially, he was a factor for London and New England merchants, but eventually went into business for himself. By 1750 he was one of the most prosperous merchants in Charleston. Pringle built two elegant town houses on Tradd Street that still stand. He served as the church warden for both St. Philip’s and St. Michael’s parishes. He was a member of the Commons House (1751-1762) until he was appointed a judge of the Court of Common Pleas and General Sessions. Because of his effort—and those of his fellow judges—to subvert the enforcement of the Stamp Act—and for his support of the Non-Importation Association, in 1770 he was removed from the bench.