"S" is for South Carolina Good Roads Association. Formed in 1897, he South Carolina Good Roads Association (SCGRA) was a catalyst for change in transportation policy and construction in the late 1890s and the first four decades of the twentieth century. Good roads promoters included civil engineers, dealers in roads materials and equipment, and community and civic leaders. The SCGRA originally emphasized the construction and maintenance of quality sand-clay, stone, or macadam farm to market roads. But, by the 1920s it focused more on the promotion of professionally built and maintained hard-surfaced and interstate truck-line highways. The South Carolina Good Roads Association was among the first South Carolina organizations to advocate a powerful state highway commission and a powerful state highway department at a time when the general public was slow to accept these innovations.