"S" is for South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind. The South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind began in 1849 as a private school. The state purchased it in 1856. From a handful of students, by the twenty-first century the institution had grown to more than four hundred students—enrolled from pre-school to high school as well as vocational and post-secondary programs. While the main campus remains in Spartanburg, regional outreach centers are maintained in Charleston, Columbia, Conway, Florence, and Rock Hill. The school is governed by a board of twelve commissioners. Besides providing quality educational, vocational, and developmental services to its students, the South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind provides leadership information and technical assistance to organizations and individuals concerned with services to people with sensory disabilities.