“P” is for Poinsett Bridge
“P” is for Poinsett Bridge. Named for Joel Roberts Poinsett, president of the state’s Board of Public Works [1819-1821], the bridge over Little Gap Creek was built in 1820 during the construction of the state highway from Columbia to Saluda Mountain. Located on Highway 42 just off old Highway 25 in northern Greenville County, it was one of forty-seven bridges spanning creeks and rivers along the ridge between the Tyger and Enoree Rivers. The bridge extends 130 feet across the shallow stream. The Gothic arch at its center is fifteen feet high and seven feet wide. Poinsett, who had traveled widely and was trained as an engineer, is credited with its unusual Gothic design. The Poinsett Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and is protected by Greenville County.