"S" is for State House
"S" is for State House. Three different buildings have served as the capitol of South Carolina. Located at the corner of Broad and Meeting Streets in Charleston, the first statehouse was among the most sophisticated public buildings in colonial America. When the capital was moved to Columbia, a hastily built wooden statehouse was constructed at the southeast corner of Senate and Richardson (now Main) Streets. In 1851 the construction of a new capitol began. The Civil War brought work to a standstill. The fire of February 1865 destroyed the old statehouse, but did little damage to the unfinished new capitol. In 1869, a temporary roof and interior finishing enabled the General Assembly to use the building. However, not until the dome was added in 1903 was work on the State House of South Carolina completed.