"P is for Palmetto Armory
"P is for Palmetto Armory. The Palmetto Armory was a short-lived effort to establish a weapons-manufacturing capability in South Carolina during the secession crisis of 1849-1852. In 1850 the General Assembly created a Board of Ordnance and appropriated $350,000 for weapons and munitions. A consortium of businessmen, headed by William Glaze, received a contract to produce muskets, rifles, pistols, cavalry sabers, and artillery sabers—all of which were to be of current federal pattern and to be manufactured wholly within the state. Despite that requirement, there is convincing evidence that most of the components for the firearms and all of the edged weapons were produced elsewhere and merely assembled in South Carolina. Production ceased in 1853 when the contract was terminated. With no further contracts forthcoming, Glaze converted the Palmetto Armory into the Palmetto Iron Works.