© 2021
Radio Website Header-Waves 6 3.0.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

“M” is for Manning

South Carolina A to Z larger logo

“M” is for Manning (Clarendon County; 2020 population 3,852). Manning was established in 1855 to provide a central location for a courthouse in the newly created Clarendon District. It was named after a family that produced three South Carolina governors. Travelling through town in 1939, Broadcaster Walter Winchell described Brooks Street in Manning as “the most beautiful street between Maine and Miami.” Although agriculture remained the economic foundation of the town for much of the twentieth century, its economy nevertheless underwent changes. At one time the city’s biggest industry was its tobacco market that closed in 1931. The city aggressively pursued industrial development in the decades after World War II. By the end of the twentieth century, Manning boasted a fifteen acre industrial park with plants producing auto bearings, textiles, timber, and stainless-steel transport tankers.

Stay Connected
Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.