Mitigating Home Hazards
Being aware of hazards in your home that could threaten your health is the first step to creating a healthy living environment, but what do you do to mitigate some of these hazards? If your home was built before the 1980’s, there is a possibility you could be living with lead based paint.
Lead test kits can help you determine if lead is present, but you’ll need to consult a certified professional to remove it. The same is true for asbestos- any home built before the 1970’s should be evaluated and treated by a professional. More common is the presence of mold, which can be caused by a leaky roof, flooding, or even moisture build up in a bathroom. You’ll want to keep the humidity low indoors and treat any visible mold as soon as possible. And for odorless and tasteless gasses like carbon monoxide and radon, you can purchase detection kits at your local hardware store.