© 2023 South Carolina Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
South Carolina A to Z
South Carolina from A to Z
Mon-Fri, 05:30 a.m.

Historian and author Walter Edgar mines the riches of the South Carolina Encyclopedia to bring you South Carolina from A to Z.

South Carolina from A to Z is a production of South Carolina Public Radio in partnership with the University of South Carolina Press and SC Humanities.

Stay Connected
Latest Episodes
  • “P” is for Perry, James Margrave (1894-1964). Attorney. “Miss Jim” Perry was the first woman admitted to the South Carolina Bar and a distinguished lawyer and civic leader for forty years.
  • “M” is for McBee, Vardry (1775-1864). Industrialist. By 1860 Vardry McBee was the largest landholder in Greenville District.
  • “L” is for Lettered Olive. State shell. The lettered olive was declared the official state shell in 1984.
  • “J” is for Johnston, Henrietta de Beaulieu Dering (ca. 1674-1729). Portrait painter. Pastels by Henrietta Dering Johnston are housed in private collections and museums in Ireland and the United States.
  • “H” is for Hash. Hearty meals have been cooked in large, cast-iron pots since the Middle Ages. Variations are endless. In South Carolina, hash takes the place of honor held by Brunswick stew in other southern states.
  • "G” is for Gilman, Samuel Foster (1791-1858). Clergyman. Samuel Foster Gillman’s tireless efforts helped establish Unitarianism as a viable religion in South Carolina and the American South.