© 2024 South Carolina Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

“C” is for Christ Church Parish

South Carolina from A to Z logo

  “C” is for Christ Church Parish. Located on the low, sandy strip of land “South-east of Wandoe river,” Christ Church was one of the ten original parishes created by the Church Act of 1706. Shortly after Charleston was founded in 1670, settlement spilled across the harbor onto the Wando peninsula. A brisk provisions trade in beef, vegetables, and orchard products soon developed between the small farmers of the area and the city. With the introduction of rice as a staple crop in the early 18th century, Christ Church became a parish of planters and slaves. The brick parish church, built in 1727, was burned by the British in 1782 and its interior was demolished by Union troops in 1865. With the abolition of the parish system in 1865, Christ Church Parish became a part of Charleston County.

Stay Connected
Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.