“R” is for Rose Hill Plantation
“R” is for Rose Hill Plantation [Union County]. Rose Hill Plantation was the home of South Carolina governor William Henry Gist—one of the South’s “fire-eating” politicians who actively sought secession. Constructed between 1828 and 1832, the mansion at Rose Hill is a large but simple house with a symmetrical plan and solid masonry walls. It has. Federal-style fanlights, slender fluted columns flanking entries and hearths, delicate rope molding, and a graceful curving staircase. The two-story front and rear classical porticoes and stucco cladding were added later, possibly around 1860. By the 1930s the house had seriously deteriorated. Concerned citizens purchased the former plantation in the hopes of preserving it as a Confederate shrine. In 1960 the state of South Carolina purchased Rose Hill Plantation and opened it to the public as a state park.