"S" is for Smyth, Ellison Adger (1847-1942). Industrialist. Smyth left the South Carolina Military Academy in 1864 to join the Confederate army. His business career began immediately after the war as a clerk in a wholesale hardware firm. In the late 1870s, in cooperation with Charleston capitalist Francis J. Pelzer, Smyth decided to organize a cotton mill on the Saluda River in Anderson County. Pelzer Manufacturing Company began operations in 1881 with Smyth as president. He remained as president until 1923 when he sold the firm. In addition to Pelzer, he was involved with a number of other mills including Belton, Duncan, and Brandon. Smyth owned a controlling interest in the Greenville News from 1912-1923. Ellison Adger Smyth helped found the Cotton Manufacturers Association of South Carolina and was active with the American Cotton Manufacturers Association.