"M" is for Medical University of South Carolina
“M” is for Medical University of South Carolina. At the request of the Medical Society of South Carolina, the General Assembly established the Medical College of South Carolina. It opened in 1824 as a private institution. In the last two decades of the 19th century, programs in pharmacy and nursing began. The faculty voted to admit women medical students in 1895. In 1913 Dean Robert Wilson campaigned for state ownership of the Medical College, whereby the state would assume some financial responsibility for the school. State ownership was achieved in 1914. The seventeen-year leadership of James B. Edwards saw major growth in endowment and research programs. The Medical University of South Carolina was widely acknowledged as a major academic health care center, maintaining its commitment to health sciences, education, research, and patient care.