“R” is for Roper Hospital [Charleston]
“R” is for Roper Hospital [Charleston]. Roper Hospital originated with a bequest from Colonel Thomas Roper to the Medical Society of South Carolina, which he charged with creating a hospital to treat “all such sick, maimed and diseased paupers as need surgical or medical aid…without regard to complexion, religion or nation.” Additional funding came from the city and private contributions. The hospital admitted its first patients in 1856. After the Civil War, financial difficulties and the 1886 earthquake led to the hospital’s closing. In 1906, the Medical Society opened second Roper Hospital with financial support from the city. In 1932 the Medical Society assumed full ownership of the hospital and constructed a new building in 1946. In 1998 Roper Hospital affiliated with CareAlliance Health Services, a corporation that manages Roper and St. Francis Hospitals.