“G” is for Greenwood
“G” is for Greenwood [Greenwood County; population 22,071]. In 1823, The McGehee family built a summer home midway between Abbeville and Cambridge and called it “Green Wood.” A village grew up nearby with a post office which, in 1850 was designated Greenwood. The town was incorporated in 1857. In the 1890s, the town emerged as a center of textile manufacturing under the leadership of James C. Self, John P. Abney, and F.E. Grier. In 1897 the town became the seat of newly created Greenwood County. The following year it developed a municipal electric power and water plant, providing residents with an adequate water supply and access to electricity. In 1903 Lander College relocated to Greenwood. In the 21st century, as textiles have declined, Greenwood has re-invented itself as a medical and research center for the lower piedmont region.