“G” is for Greenwood County
“G” is for Greenwood County [456 square miles; population 66,271]. Located in the lower Piedmont southwest of the Saluda River, Greenwood County was created in 1897. Its boundaries were carved out of Abbeville and Edgefield Counties. When residents approved the formation of the county, they selected the name of the county to be the same as the town that was to be the county seat. Railroads played a vital role in the county’s transformation from an agricultural to an industrial community. From the Civil War until World War II, textiles dominated the economy for nearly a century, but after World War II, the county launched a campaign to attract more diverse industry. The most dramatic economic success came in 1988 when Fuji Photo Film located its North American headquarters in Greenwood County.