“M” is for Milburn, Frank Pierce
“M” is for Milburn, Frank Pierce [1868-1926]. Architect. A native of Kentucky, Milburn established a practice in Charlotte in 1896. In 1899 he received the commission to complete the South Carolina State House. Adding a neo-classical dome and porticos to the building, he completed the project. He designed more than fifty buildings in the state including courthouses in Anderson and Greenville, city halls in Columbia and Darlington, Alumni Hall at Wofford, and the Gibbes Art Gallery in Charleston. In 1902 he moved to Washington and joined up with Michael Heister and the firm garnered numerous government commissions. Milburn’s designs were stylistically eclectic and generally derivative. He favored the neoclassical style, and beaux arts and Romanesque influences were evident in much of his work. Frank Pierce Milburn was one of the New South’s most successful and prolific architects.