“S” is for St. David's Parish. The backcountry parish of St. David's was established in 1768 and included the area of modern Marlboro, Darlington, and Chesterfield counties, plus a portion of northwestern Florence County. Among the earliest settlers were Welsh Baptists from Pennsylvania. They were drawn to South Carolina in the 1730s by the colonial government's promise of free land in Queensboro Township. Indigo planters from the coast began arriving in the 1750s and by 1760 the “Welsh Tract” had a population of 3,500. During the 1760s the area was a hotbed of Regulator activity. A parish church was built in Cheraw in 1773 and five years later the St. David's Society was formed to promote education. When counties became the basis for backcountry representation in 1785, St. David's Parish was subdivided into Marlboro, Darlington, and Chesterfield counties.
“S” is for St. David's Parish