"D" is for "Death Valley"
“D” is for “Death Valley.” Clemson Memorial Stadium, popularly known as Death Valley, is the third playing field for Clemson football. The stadium opened in 1942 and expanded over the years into an imposing place to play. Presbyterian College coach Lonnie McMillian dubbed it Death Valley because his Blue Hose teams got killed on the field. Coach Frank Howard started using the term in the 1950s and it stuck. “Death Valley” comes to life each Fall as students, alumni, and fans converge in a sea of orange. The pregame tradition of the team running down the hill after rubbing Howard’s Rock while the Tiger Band plays “Tiger Rag” has been called one of the most exciting 25 seconds in college football. Notables in Clemson football lore are recognized in Death Valley’s Clemson Ring of Honor.”