"J" is for John D. Hollingsworth on Wheels
"J" is for John D. Hollingsworth on Wheels. John D. Hollingsworth on Wheels was a Greenville-based manufacturer of steel and flexible wire clothing for cards and other machines for spinning preparation. It was founded in 1894 by Pinckney C. Hollingsworth who started a company to repair textile machinery. He carried a lathe and grinder—by mule—to cotton mills in the two Carolinas. He later purchased a used truck and built a large garage-workshop behind his house. He was followed in the business by his son John D. Hollingsworth and grandson. J.D. Hollingsworth, Jr., the grandson, expanded the company into a major machinery manufacturer with clients around the world. The John D. Hollingsworth on Wheels corporation was the multi-million dollar corpus for the Hollingsworth Foundation with profits to go to various non-profit institutions such as the Greenville YMCA and Furman University.