"C" is for Columbia Museum of Art
"C" is for Columbia Museum of Art. The Columbia Museum of Art was established in 1950 as an art, history, and science museum—and included the Gibbes Planetarium. In 1990 the mission statement was changed to focus entirely on American and European fine, design, and decorative arts from the medieval period to the present. In 1998 the Columbia Museum of Art was relocated from the historic Taylor House to a new facility on Main Street. Gifts from the Samuel H. Kress Foundation enhanced the collection with works by such artists as Botticelli, Canaletto, and Tintoretto. Other gifts included Monet’s The Scene at Giverny and Remington’s Bronco Buster. Resources within the museum include an art library, an auditorium, and a teacher resource center. The Columbia Museum of Art is accredited by the American Association of Museums.