"H" is for Huguenot Church (Charleston)
"H" is for Huguenot Church (Charleston). Located at 140 Church Street, the French Protestant (Huguenot) Church was the first Gothic Revival ecclesiastical building erected in Charleston. Construction began in 1844. It was designed by Edward B. White and is built of brick finished in stucco. In color and scale it blends harmoniously with the city’s built environment. The church was damaged in 1864 during the siege of Charleston and nearly destroyed during the 1886 earthquake. Following a restoration, it became a shrine to all Huguenot settlers of the New World and received only limited use for much of the twentieth century. Descendants of the original members returned to the church in the early 1980s and instituted a regular schedule of weekly services and programs. The Huguenot Church was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.