"M" is for Mount Pleasant
"M" is for Mount Pleasant (Charleston County; 2010 population 67,843). Lying on the north side of Charleston harbor, Mount Pleasant occupies what was formerly Christ Church Parish. James Hibben laid out the village in 1803 on the site of the former Mount Pleasant plantation of Jacob Motte. The town of Mount Pleasant was incorporated in 1837. In 1883 the town became the county seat of Berkeley County, but was annexed back into Charleston County in 1895. Mount Pleasant was a small village until the 1970s when it began a dramatic expansion to become the sixth largest municipality in South Carolina. By employing subdivision covenants, development restrictions, and downtown revitalization projects, Mount Pleasant’s leaders have worked to balance the charm of the "Old Village" while providing the services of a modern urban hub.