"S" is for South of the Border
"S" is for South of the Border. Located just south of the North Carolina border near the town of Hamer, South of the Border has long captured the attention of travelers on U.S. Highway 301 and Interstate 95. In 1950, beer distributor Alan Schafer opened a one-room beer depot to sell beer to dry Robeson County, North Carolina. Construction materials for the new business were delivered to “Schafer project: south of the border,” thus inspiring the name for the enterprise. The expansion of the beer depot into a large entertainment complex began in 1954. By the turn of the century, the South of the Border complex covered 350 acres and included five restaurants, fourteen stores, three hundred motel rooms, a campground, an indoor miniature golf course, two fireworks stores, and hundreds of larger-than-life statues.