"B" is for Bishopville
"B" is for Bishopville [Lee County; population 3,670]. Bishopville, the seat of Lee County, traces its origins to prehistoric days when two Indian trails crossed near the future site of the town. European settlement began in the late 18th century and, for a time was known as Singleton’s Cross Roads. In 1821 Dr. Jacques Bishop purchased property in the area and operated a general store—by the late 1830s the little settlement was called Bishopville. The town has also served as a business and cultural center throughout its existence. Two blocks of Main Street are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 1900 Opera House is now a community events center. In 1994 Bishopville opened the South Carolina Cotton Museum as a center to interpret the cotton heritage of the town and Lee County.