"E" is for Edwards, William Augustus [1866-1939]
"E" is for Edwards, William Augustus [1866-1939]. Architect. Edwards began his career in Virginia, but, moved back to South Carolina as a partner in the firm of Wilson and Edwards. Edwards was the lead partner in several other architectural firms in South Carolina and, after 1908, in Atlanta.
He and his firms maintained a successful practice by concentrating on schools, collegiate buildings, and courthouses. Among his major commissions in South Carolina were sixteen standard public school designs prepared for the State Board of Education as part of a statewide program of public-school construction. In addition, his firms designed nine new courthouses—including those in Abbeville, Calhoun, Darlington, Dillon, Jasper, Kershaw, Lee, Sumter, and York. Throughout his long and varied career William Augustus Edwards won distinction as both a collegiate designer and a county courthouse designer.