"S" is for Saint Andrew's Parish
"S" is for Saint Andrew's Parish. In 1706, when the Commons House made the Church of England the colony's official church, St. Andrew's was among the ten parishes created by that act. It originally included the mainland region south and west of Charleston along the Ashley River as well as James Island. Parishes in South Carolina served a political as well as a religious function. Due to the growing profitability of rice cultivation and subsequent population growth, the parish was subdivided in 1717, with the upper territory surrounding the upper Ashley River becoming St. George's Dorchester Parish. Prosperous rice planters built elaborate mansions along the banks of the Ashley including Magnolia, Drayton Hall, and Middleton Place. After the Civil War, the parish system was abolished and St. Andrew's Parish was incorporated into Charleston District.