“F” is for Fenwick Hall
“F” is for Fenwick Hall (Johns Island). Fenwick Hall, earlier known as Headquarters Plantation, stands on Johns Island near the Stone River, presenting its primary façade toward River Road. About 1730, John Fenwick constructed the original section, “a fine example of the symmetry and grace of Georgian design.” In the mid-eighteenth century Fenwick’s son Edward constructed two brick flanking buildings. A half century later John Gibbes added a perpendicular wing along one end of the house, its ends projecting as octagonal bays in a style made fashionable by the Adam brothers of England. The property then went through a series of owners and by the 1930s was in deplorable condition. The Charleston architects Simons and Latham thoroughly reworked the building for Victor Morowetz of New York, retaining the notable interior detail of Fenwick Hall.