Radio Website Header-Waves 6 3.0.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

“O” is for Old Brick Church (Fairfield County)

South Carolina from A to Z logo

South Carolina from A to Z: “O” is for Old Brick Church (Fairfield County)

“O” is for Old Brick Church (Fairfield County). Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church known commonly as the “Old Brick Church,” is one of only a handful of eighteenth-century ecclesiastical buildings in the Midlands. Built in 1788, the plain-brick masonry building stands at a site along the Little River about twelve miles from Winnsboro. The interior is austere and features long, straight-backed wooden pews and a dais-style pulpit. The church and an adjoining cemetery are surrounded by a granite wall erected in 1852. On May 9, 1803, the church was the site of a gathering of ministers and church elders that resulted in the formation of the Associate Reformed Synod of the Carolinas. Today it is revered as the “mother church” of the A.R.P. denomination. In 1971 Old Brick Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.