© 2022 South Carolina Public Radio
Radio Website Header-Waves 6 3.0.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations
WLTR-FM, Columbia, 91.3, is currently operating at low power. This will affect reception in some areas. Streaming is not affected.

“F” is for Fenwick Hall

South Carolina A to Z.png

“F” is for Fenwick Hall (Johns Island). Fenwick Hall, earlier known as Headquarters Plantation, stands on Johns Island near the Stone River, presenting its primary façade toward River Road. About 1730, John Fenwick constructed the original section, “a fine example of the symmetry and grace of Georgian design.” In the mid-eighteenth century Fenwick’s son Edward constructed two brick flanking buildings. A half century later John Gibbes added a perpendicular wing along one end of the house, its ends projecting as octagonal bays in a style made fashionable by the Adam brothers of England. The property then went through a series of owners and by the 1930s was in deplorable condition. The Charleston architects Simons and Latham thoroughly reworked the building for Victor Morowetz of New York, retaining the notable interior detail of Fenwick Hall.

Stay Connected
Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.