“A” is for All Saints Parish.
“A” is for All Saints Parish. Established in 1778, All Saints Parish comprised the Waccamaw Neck of what would become Horry and Georgetown Counties. In 1721, the peninsula became part of Prince George Winyah Parish, but was separated from the rest of the parish by the Waccamaw River. In 1767, the Commons House of Assembly created All Saints Parish, but the act was disallowed in 1770. With the introduction of tidal rice culture in the mid-eighteenth century, the Waccamaw River, which had so long been a barrier to the development of the Neck, quickly became its greatest asset. Plantations sprang up along its banks, and by 1810 enslaved persons made up nearly ninety percent of the parish population. With the abolition of the parish system in 1865, All Saints Parish was absorbed into Georgetown and Horry Counties.