"S” is for St. Philip’s Parish
“S” is for St. Philip’s Parish. St. Philip’s Parish was one of the ten original parishes created by the Church Act of 1706. The parish consisted of the city of Charleston and the original parish church was located at the corner of Broad and Meeting Streets. Construction of a new parish church on Church Street was completed in 1733. The colonial church burned in 1835 but was rebuilt. In 1751, the city was divided into two parishes with everything south of Broad Street in the new parish of St. Michael’s. St. Philip’s and St. Michael’s Parishes were combined into one voting district for the purpose of electing the city’s legislative delegation, and they jointly elected two state senators. The parish system was abolished in 1865 and St. Philip’s Parish was incorporated into Charleston District.