Spoleto Backstage: Meeting Jessica Meyer, Composer in Residence
On this episode of Spoleto Backstage, we speak with Jessica Meyer, violist and 2021 Spoleto Chamber Music Series composer in residence, and hear her compositions featured in this year's series. Meyer shares the backstories of these works, two of which had their world premieres at the festival, as well as insights into her growth as a composer.
We're also joined by violinist Livia Sohn, for whom Meyer wrote the new composition "From Our Ashes," to chat about the piece and returning to public performance after personal setbacks.
Pieces featured in this episode, all composed by Jessica Meyer:
- "But Not Until"
- Jessica Meyer, viola; Pual Wiankco, cello
- "Source of Joy"
- Jessica Meyer, viola and loop pedal
- "From Our Ashes" (world premiere)
- Livia Sohn, violin
- "She Sailed the Savage Seas" (world premiere)
- St. Lawrence Strings Quartet: Geoff Nuttall, violin; Owen Dalby, violin; Lesley Robertson, viola; Christopher Contanza, cello
Production of the Chamber Music Series from Spoleto Festival USA is made possible by Bank of America, the ETV Endowment of South Carolina, and the John Covington and Robert Lukey Fund for the Performing Arts.