Spoleto Backstage: German Baroque and Contemporary with James Austin Smith
On this episode of Spoleto Backstage, we present a world premiere performance by oboist James Austin Smith. He joins us to share the backstory of the piece by composer Sigfried Thiele, discuss life as a musician during the pandemic, and celebrate his return to Spoleto Festival USA.
Pieces featured in this episode:
- Oboe Concerto in G minor, HWV 287 | George Frederic Handel (1685 – 1759)
- James Austin Smith, oboe;
- Pedja Muzijevic, harpsichord;
- Geoff Nuttall and Livia Sohn, violin;
- Ayane Kozasa, viola;
- Paul Wiancko, cello;
- Anthony Manzo, double bass
- “Ballade für Oboe” world premiere | Siegfried Thiele (b. 1934)
- James Austin Smith, oboe
Production of the Chamber Music Series from Spoleto Festival USA is made possible by Bank of America, the ETV Endowment of South Carolina, and the John Covington and Robert Lukey Fund for the Performing Arts.