© 2026 South Carolina Public Radio
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
SC Public Radio's statewide network is experiencing intermittent outages and programming issues due to ongoing infrastructure upgrades. Our team is working to keep these disruptions to a minimum and to resolve issues that do arise. Streaming on this site, the SCETV App, the NPR App, and smart speakers is unaffected.

"S” is for St. Philip’s Parish

South Carolina A to Z larger logo

“S” is for St. Philip’s Parish. St. Philip’s Parish was one of the ten original parishes created by the Church Act of 1706. The parish consisted of the city of Charleston and the original parish church was located at the corner of Broad and Meeting Streets. Construction of a new parish church on Church Street was completed in 1733. The colonial church burned in 1835 but was rebuilt. In 1751, the city was divided into two parishes with everything south of Broad Street in the new parish of St. Michael’s. St. Philip’s and St. Michael’s Parishes were combined into one voting district for the purpose of electing the city’s legislative delegation, and they jointly elected two state senators. The parish system was abolished in 1865 and St. Philip’s Parish was incorporated into Charleston District.

Stay Connected
Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.