“F” is for Forest Acres
“F” is for Forest Acres (Richland County; 2020 population 10,300). This community, covering nearly five square miles is wedged between Columbia and Fort Jackson. In 1935, in order to obtain a grant from the federal Works Progress Administration for a water system, residents of historic Quinine Hill had to become an incorporated municipality. The new city, Forest Acres, took its name from John Hughes Cooper’s Forest Land Company that was involved in residential development in the area. In 1940, the new town had 323 residents; a decade later it had 3,240 as World War II brought in an influx of personnel associated with Fort Jackson. After the war the town became a flourishing bedroom community for Columbia and soon posted one of the highest per capita incomes in the state. Forest Acres government consists of a mayor and four council members.