"M” is for Market Hall (Charleston)
“M” is for Market Hall (Charleston). Completed in 1841, Market Hall was one of several monumental buildings that arose along Meeting Street in Charleston during the 1830s and 1840s. Located at 188 Meeting Street, Market Hall occupies a narrow lot between North and South Market Streets that had been used as the public market since the late eighteenth century. It was designed in the form of a Roman Temple by Edward Brickell White. The two story building is set on a rusticated base and is built of brick covered with a brownstone stucco. The second story is in an ashlar pattern. A double flight of brownstone steps leads to a pedimented portico supported by four Doric columns. The elaborate entablature includes ram skulls and triglyphs. Market Hall was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.