© 2022 South Carolina Public Radio
Radio Website Header-Waves 6 3.0.jpg
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
WEPR-FM, 90.1, Greenville/Spartanburg, will be operating at low power during tower maintenance. The transmitter may also be taken off the air periodically. Streaming is not affected.

“J” is for John’s Island Presbyterian Church.

South Carolina A to Z.png

“J” is for John’s Island Presbyterian Church. The John’s Island Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in South Carolina. Scots minister Archibald Stobo founded the congregation in 1710 and the Charles Towne Presbytery in 1722. The first church was erected in 1719. It featured cypress siding and shingles and a plaster ceiling with an ornamental sunflower at its center. The present building is a fine example of wood churches of the Federal period. It was built in 1822-1823. Distinctive Presbyterian features include the double entry doors. Although the original nine-foot high pulpit has been lowered, the church still retains high-sided box pews. The risers of the side steps on either side of the pulpit are made of Italian marble. The congregation of the Johns Island Presbyterian Church has met continuously since the first church was built in 1719.

Stay Connected
Dr. Walter Edgar has two programs on South Carolina Public Radio: Walter Edgar's Journal, and South Carolina from A to Z. Dr. Edgar received his B.A. degree from Davidson College in 1965 and his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina in 1969. After two years in the army (including a tour of duty in Vietnam), he returned to USC as a post-doctoral fellow of the National Archives, assigned to the Papers of Henry Laurens.