“N” is for North Augusta
“N” is for North Augusta (Aiken County; 2020 population 23,370). North Augusta lies on the Savanna River opposite Augusta, Georgia. Incorporated in 1906, the city grew on the site of the antebellum town of Hamburg. Following that town’s demise, new families moved into the area. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, North Augusta was a popular retreat for well-to-do northerners. Excellent rail connections, a mild climate, and its proximity to the larger winter colony at Aiken combined to make the town a well-patronized winter destination for northern tourists. The construction of the Savannah River Plant transformed the town in the 1950s- with its population tripling in a decade. Beginning in 1951 North Augusta began enlarging its geographical boundaries through annexation and by 2000, its total land area was almost eighteen square miles.