SC Lede: COVID-19 — Self-Isolation Discombobulation
The South Carolina Lede is here to keep you up to date on important news as the Palmetto State faces the COVID-19 virus. There is so much news out there right now it’s overwhelming. This podcast is for you to get information that matters to you, your family and your fellow South Carolinians. No hype. No fear. Just COVID-19 news and resources to get us all through this.
On this episode for March 31, 2020, we discuss legal questions surrounding the emergency powers of local governments which may conflict with South Carolina state orders, speak with local restaurant owners whose business is being affected by COVID-19, learn about efforts as the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) to develop 3D printed masks, and more.
Each of these special episodes is structured to give you straight up information up front followed by additional context and reporting, your voices, resources and tips and we end it all with a little wind down.
And we want to hear from you! Leave us a 1-minute long voicemail at 803-563-7169 to tell us how you’re coping with COVID-19, what your life is like in quarantine, and what are you watching, reading, and doing during this time of social distancing.
You can keep up with the latest updates on COVID-19 in South Carolina on the SCETV coronavirus page here.
Other resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Poynter: How To Consume New During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- New York Times: The Great Empty (Photo Gallery)
- Institute for Health Metrics and Education (IHME): COVID-19 Projections
- Forbes: Here's Why Bank of America, Ally Mortgage Holders May Not See Promised COVID-19 Relief
- MarketWatch: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac to Roll Out New Mortgage-Payment Deferral Option for Homeowners Facing Financial Trouble
- Addition Information on the South Carolina Attorney General's Opinion on Emergency Powers
- MarketWatch: 20 Virtual Field Trips to Keep Your Kids Occupied (and Learning)
The Lancet: The Effect of Control Strategies to Reduce Social Mixing on Outcomes of the COVID-19 Epidemic in Wuhan, China
You can subscribe to South Carolina Lede in Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and Stitcher. You can also follow the show on Instagram and Twitter.