SC Lede: COVID-19 — Homeward Bound
The South Carolina Lede is here to keep you up to date on important news as the Palmetto State faces the COVID-19 virus. There is so much news out there right now it’s overwhelming. This podcast is for you to get information that matters to you, your family and your fellow South Carolinians. No hype. No fear. Just COVID-19 news and resources to get us all through this.
On this episode for April 2, 2020, we discuss Gov. Henry McMaster's executive order closing all non-essential businesses in South Carolina, the latest unemployment numbers, and more. We also speak with Brinton Fox, owner of Boone Fox Farms in Columbia, SC, about how the virus is affecting agricultural businesses like hers, and ask her for tips for people beginning gardens while staying at home.
Each of these special episodes is structured to give you straight up information up front followed by additional context and reporting, your voices, resources and tips and we end it all with a little wind down.
And we want to hear from you! Leave us a 1-minute long voicemail at 803-563-7169 to tell us how you’re coping with COVID-19, what your life is like in quarantine, and what are you watching, reading, and doing during this time of social distancing.
You can keep up with the latest updates on COVID-19 in South Carolina on the SCETV coronavirus page here.
Other resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Gov. Henry McMaster Orders Non-Essential Businesses Closed Throughout SC
- SC Department of Agriculture: Where to Buy Local Farm-Fresh Food During COVID-19
- Library of Congress: Parents! Smart Fun for Kids
- JSTOR Daily: Teaching Pandemics Syllabus
- National Geographic: How Some Cities 'Flattened the Curve' During the 1918 Flu Pandemic
- SC Department of Employment and Workforce YouTube page