Spoleto Backstage: Mozartistry with David Byrd-Marrow
On this fifth episode of Spoleto Backstage for 2021, we spotlight the music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with two his works performed as part of this year's Spoleto Chamber Music Series: Trio in E-flat major, K. 498 “Kegelstatt” and Horn Concerto No. 1 in D major, K. 412. We're then joined by hornist David Byrd-Marrow, the featured soloist in the latter, to discuss the concerto and how performing a wide range of musical styles helps him as an artist.
Pieces featured in this episode:
- Trio in E-flat major, K. 498 “Kegelstatt” | Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 – 91)
- Pedja Muzijevic, piano;
- Todd Palmer, clarinet;
- Ayane Kozasa, viola
- Horn Concerto No. 1 in D major, K. 412 | Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 – 91), arr. Ben Loeb
- David Byrd-Marrow, horn;
- Geoff Nuttall, Jennifer Frautschi, Livia Sohn, violin;
- Hsin-Yun Huang, viola;
- Arlen Hlusko, cello;
- Anthony Manzo, double bass;
- James Austin Smith, oboe;
- Todd Palmer, clarinet
Production of the Chamber Music Series from Spoleto Festival USA is made possible by Bank of America, the ETV Endowment of South Carolina, and the John Covington and Robert Lukey Fund for the Performing Arts.